We are getting closer and closer to Christmas, which will be celebrated, like every year, on the 25th of December. If you’re planning to be in Israel this Christmas, here are the top places to celebrate Christmas and what you can do in each.
The post was last updated on 21 December 2022.
Disclaimer: This page may include affiliate links that help me maintain the site. When you buy something through these links, I get a commission. It does not cost more for you.
Christmas in Nazareth
Nazareth is where Jesus spent his childhood and is a special place to visit during December and on Christmas eve in Israel. The whole Old City of Nazareth is decorated with Christmas decorations. The main Christmas tree stands tall at Mary’s Well Square, next to the Greek Orthodox St. Gabriel Church. In 2022 – The Christmas tree will be lit on Sunday, December 11 at 8 PM.
Christmas events in Nazareth:
Besides wandering around the beautiful decorations, here are some more things you can do in Nazareth:
- Go to the Christmas Market – There are several Christmas markets in Nazareth, each taking place on different dates. The markets are usually filled with people and market stalls, which sell various arts and crafts and local products. Most of the action starts in the evening, so make sure to go after dark. In 2022 – The first Christmas Market will take place in Saint Anton Center from 30 November to 11 December from 5 PM to 10 PM. Another market will take place in the Golden Crown Hotel on 7-11 and 14-18 December from 5 PM to 10 PM. There is also a Christmas Market that will take place near Mary’s Well on 15-18 December from 5 PM to 10 PM. All markets require an entrance fee (40-50 shekels pp).
Watch this video by Israel to get a glimpse of the Christmas Market:
- Watch the Christmas Parade – This annual parade takes place on the 24th of December and starts at 3 PM and passes through Paul VI Street, the main street of Nazareth. It’s recommended to get there early so you will be able to watch.
- Take part in the Christmas mass at the Church of the Annunciation – The highlight of the Christmas events in Nazareth is the Midnight Mass, which starts at 7 PM on 24th December in the Basilica of the Annunciation. It is believed that this was where Virgin Mary got the message that she bears the son of God, Jesus.
How to reach Nazareth?
Coming from Tel Aviv – You can use Egged bus number 826, which leaves from Tel Aviv Central Station to Nazareth. The buses start as early as 7 AM and continue until midnight. It costs about 34 ILS.
Coming from Jerusalem – You can use Egged bus number 955, which leaves from Jerusalem Central Station to Nazareth Central Station. It costs about 37 ILS. It leaves every two hours from 1:10 PM to 11 PM.
Christmas in Jerusalem
If you can’t make it to Nazareth, maybe you’ll be able to make it to Jerusalem. The celebration is great over there as well, so don’t worry! Jesus visited Jerusalem many times throughout his life. He ascended to the Heavens from the top of Mount of Olives, which stands to the east of the Old City. The Christian Quarter of Jerusalem is usually lit with enchanting Christmas decorations and you will be able to find some beautiful Christmas trees throughout the city. The Christmas tree I love most is the one standing in front of the YMCA Hotel every year.
Christmas events in Jerusalem
Besides walking through the enchanting alleyways of the Old City and admiring the decorations, here are some top things you can do while in Jerusalem:
- Meet Jerusalem’s Santa – In one of the hidden alleyways of the Christian Quarter in the Old City of Jerusalem lies the house of Jerusalem’s Santa Claus. If you’re coming with kids or want a pic of yourselves with Santa of the Holy Land, you might want to visit his house. For more info, check out the official page of Jerusalem Santa on Facebook. Usually, the house is open from 5 to 8 PM throughout December.
- Watch the lighting of the YMCA Christmas Tree – One of the most beautiful Christmas trees is the one standing in front of the YMCA building. You can go watch it light up, hear the wonderful bell ringing, and enjoy traditional food. In 2022 – It will take place on 27 November 2022 at 6:30 PM. Entrance costs 10 shekels pp.
- Attend YMCA’s Christmas Market – This traditional Christmas Market takes place each year in heated tents in front of the YMCA Hotel and in the YMCA historical basketball court. You can walk through the different stands to find hundreds of Christmas products and handmade arts and crafts, as well as some snacks. There are also wonderful bell concerts throughout the day. In 2022 – From 8 to 10 December, 11 AM to 10 PM (on Friday till 7 PM).
- Attend the New Gate Christmas Market – The New Gate of the Old City is lit by beautiful Christmas decorations, including a tall Christmas tree. You can also enjoy many food stalls and holiday music. Just keep in mind that it’s usually VERY crowded. In 2022 – From 15 to 31 December, Sunday to Friday from 5 PM to 9:30 PM and Saturday from 11 AM to 9:30 PM.
Watch this video by i24NEWS English to get a glimpse of the YMCA Christmas Market:
- Join the Christmas carols in the Christ Church – Opposite the entrance to the Tower of David Museum stands the Christ Church, the first protestant church built in the Middle East. Every Christmas eve, on 24 December, they hold Christmas carols from 5 PM to 10 PM. For 2022 – It will happen on 24 December from 5 PM to 10 PM.
If you would like to take part in a ritual ceremony in Jerusalem, check out the Catholic Christmas events in Jerusalem through the CIC website.
How to reach Jerusalem?
Jerusalem is well connected. There are frequent buses from the main cities of Israel. There’s also the new train station at Yitzhak Navon, just in front of the Central Bus Station in Jerusalem.
If you plan to visit Jerusalem, I recommend reading my ultimate guide to Jerusalem for budget travelers.
Looking for a private guided tour in Jerusalem?
Jerusalem is full of places to see and during the holiday season, it’s charming! If you want to save time and learn more, the best way to explore Jerusalem is with a private guide. I’ll be happy to guide you around Jerusalem and show you the wonders of the city during the holidays! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a price offer.
Christmas in Bethlehem
I’ve put Bethlehem after Nazareth and Jerusalem because you would have to pass a border to enter it because Bethlehem is under Palestinian authority. So it’s not exactly in Israel, but Bethlehem is THE place to celebrate Christmas. After all, according to the New Testament, Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
In 2022 – The beautiful Christmas tree will be lit at Manger Square. Couldn’t find the date (if you have it, let me know).
Watch this video by i24NEWS English to get a glimpse of Christmas in Bethlehem:
To get to Bethlehem with ease, you can book the Bethlehem Christmas Mass shuttle that leaves from Jerusalem to Bethlehem at 8 PM on the 24th of December. The shuttle is operated by Abraham Tours.
Christmas in Haifa
Another cool place to celebrate Christmas in Israel is Haifa. Haifa is known as a city of diverse religions and cultures. It is also known as a city of co-existence and is very proud of it. That’s why one of the largest and most festive events in Haifa is the Holiday of Holidays, which will take place in December. This festival is meant to celebrate the holidays of the three main religions in Haifa – Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. So, you’ll have a chance to celebrate not only Christmas but also the Jewish Hannukah (celebrated on 18-26 December this year) and Muslim Ramadan (which isn’t celebrated in December this year).
The streets of Downtown Haifa are lit with beautiful holiday decorations, there are plenty of street performances and of course, there’s also fabulous food, which is always typical of the Arab neighborhood of Wadi Nisnas in Haifa.
In 2022 – The festival will take place on 8-26 December.
Watch this video by Israel to get a glimpse of the Holiday of Holidays:
How to reach Haifa?
From Tel Aviv – There are frequent buses from Tel Aviv Central Station to Haifa. You can take bus number 921 from Tel Aviv to Haifa Merkazit Khof Ha-Karmel Station. It costs about 27 ILS.
From Jerusalem – There are frequent buses from Jerusalem Central Station a well. You can take bus number 947 or 940 to Haifa Merkazit Khof Ha-Karmel Station. It costs about 37 ILS.
Israel is the best place to celebrate Christmas because it’s where Jesus was born and lived until the crucifixion. So no matter where you’ll go – Nazareth, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, or Haifa – I’m sure you’re going to have a splendid time!
Coming to Israel for another holiday? Read – Holidays in Israel and How to Spend Them During Travel.
Save this post for later!
I’ll be updating the post if I hear of any other cool events for Christmas. Do you know of anything that should be added? Feel free to let me know at email@example.com.
Think this post is useful or helpful? I would really appreciate a like, a share or a comment!
Also, check out my Facebook page for frequent updates – Backpack Israel.
And if you need help with planning your trip, check out my trip planning service for Israel.